Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Journey


People often say that it's not where you're going but the journey that is the most interesting. I agree 100 percent.

My journey began in Columbus, Ohio when I said my final good-byes and boarded the plane to Atlanta, Georgia. Once in Atlanta, I met up with some fellow AFS students and boarded a second plane to Miami, Florida. Miami is what AFS considers our "gateway city", where we get to meet all of the other AFSUSA students who are departing for South America. Though seemingly fun, this process has to be one of the most difficult parts of the entire journey. All 32 students were torn between grieving for their old lives and being excited for their new ones. All of the AFSUSA students were immediate best friends because we were all going through the same experience. 

The next day all of the AFS Argentina and Uruguay students boarded a plane to Buenos Aires. After barely making it on the plane due to an issue with not having an Argentinian visa, I was relieved to be able to sit and relax. The flight was about 10 hours long but I was sitting with my friends so it wasn't too bad. Once in Buenos Aires, we waited about 12 hours in the airport for the rest of the AFS students from all over the world to arrive. The waiting room was super hot and most of the students, including myself, got really sick. When all of the students finally arrived, we were moved by bus to a slightly cooler room to await the departure to our host cities. I waited about 4 hours in this room but it was enjoyable enough because I got to spend time with the other students going to Uruguay (1 boy from Japan and 2 girls from Thailand).

The next leg of the journey was the most eye opening to me. One of the volunteers from AFS put the 2 girls from Thailand and I in a taxi with a boat ticket and a bus ticket. That's all, minimal instructions (due to the language barrier) and a couple of tickets.  The other girls traveling with me spoke perfect English but no Spanish so I had to translate to the best of my ability (not very good at the time). It was a crazy journey but after getting stopped in customs, getting 3 random bag checks, and almost missing my bus stop, I finally made it. 



Breakfast in Miami. 




AFSUSA Uruguay crew. 



With my friend Jamie on the plane to Buenos Aires. 



AFSUSA on the plane to Buenos Aires. 



1 comment:

  1. Maddie you did great getting yourself there, it will seem easier next time! Love the pics and the blog.

    ReplyDelete